Posted by Bruce Robinson in water , waste , toxic , technology , speaker , Sonoma , Sebastopol , Santa Rosa , resources , public safety , policy , planning , Petaluma , nonprofit orgs , news , Health , government , events , environment , economy , design , conservation , community , climate change , chemicals , carbon , business , alternative energy , agriculture
Sonoma County's main dump, seen from the air at left, has been closed since 2005, but its future continues to be hotly debated.
Operating a landfill anywhere in northern California is a difficult prospect in today's regulatory climate, observes Assemblyman Wes Chesbro, and even a well-funded private company must surmount those obstacles.
A proposed Materials Recovery Facility (MRF) for Sonoma County could eventually be able to sort out and reuse as much as 90% of the region's waste stream. Alan Strachan, one of the backers of that project, suggests that through composting or other processes, even most of the remaining 10% could someday be reused.
Longtime recycling advocate Mike Anderson is one of many voices taking up the call for setting a goal of zero waste.
The entire public forum was recorded and will be broadcast at the following times on Community Media Channel 26 in Santa Rosa:
|Monday, March 30 (LIVE)||8am|
|Wednesday, April 1st||5pm|
|Thursday, April 2nd||12pm|
|Friday, April 3rd||5pm|
|Saturday, April 4th||6am|
|Sunday, April 5th||5pm|
|Monday, April 6th||8am|
|Wednesday, April 8th||5pm|
|Thursday, April 9th||12pm|
|Friday, April 10th||5pm|
|Saturday, April 11th||6am|
|Sunday, April 12th||5pm|
More information and background about Ecoleader .
To learn more about the Landfill.